I was
looking for a holiday destination for this year’s Easter break and I decided to take
a trip to Germany’s amazing capital. It is a convenient destination as planes
leave from Graz and I have a friend there, so I didn’t have to look for a
hostel.
The flight
went well and I arrived there Sunday evening. We spent a nice evening in a
Lebanese restaurant and planned our week. I’ve already been to Berlin 6 years
ago but that was only a 3-day-trip and as it was long time ago we decided to visit
the most famous tourist attractions again. It took us one day to see the main
sights like the Berlin Wall, Brandenburger Tor, Alexanderplatz, the Museum Island or the
Siegessäule.
![]() |
| Victory Column |
![]() |
| Brandenburg Gate |
![]() | |
| Reichstag |
Visiting a
city with someone who lives there is completely different – eventually we
didn’t to that much sightseeing but I got a closer look at places that real
inhabitants of the city enjoy. She took
me to nice bars, we went to see a concert of a local musician and she showed me
some magnificent parks.
![]() |
| At the Rittersport shop |
We also
visited some museums – my favorite one is the Pergamonmuseum. It is divided
into three sections: the antiquity collection, the Middle East museum and the
museum of Islamic arts. The most impressive piece of art is the reconstruction
of the Ishtar Gate, which was a gate to the inner city of Babylon. I also
enjoyed the museum for Islamic art very much – probably because I’ve already
heard much about Islamic art in Arabic classes but I’ve never had the chance to
see some of it up to now.
Another must-see
for Berlin visitors is Sanssouci – a palace located in Potsdam, half an hour
from Berlin. It reminds me a little bit
of Versailles as it is built in a very similar style. The park is also beautiful. One
can spend a lot of time wandering around there. Unfortunately it was freezing
outside when we were there so we could not enjoy it that much.
Since we
were already in Potsdam I insisted on visiting the Babelsberg Film Studio. Many
famous films are shot there – German films as well as international productions.
It was an amazing experience where we got loads of information about the making
of films. What’s even cooler is the fact that we could see the set of GZSZ, a
German soap opera. I stopped watching it 10 years ago but it is still funny to
see all these places which we know from TV in reality.
![]() |
| Walking in a winter wonderland =) |
As one week
is I also wanted to see something else than Berlin, so my friend proposed a
trip to her hometown, which is situated in Saxony-Anhalt. We spent two days there – it was quite a
change because Thale – her hometown – is a small village that differs very much
from the cosmopolitan city Berlin. It is situated in the Harz district, which
is one of the most mountainous areas of Germany. Besides it is famous for its
legends and sagas that are mostly about witches.
![]() | |
| Werningerode |
![]() |
| Quedlinburg |
The last
night there we went out. Berlin has so many possibilities if you want to go
out! It was really hard to reach a decision but eventually we agreed on going
to Fritz Club near the East Side Gallery. There were various floors with
different kinds of music and we spent a nice evening there. People there are
different from Austrians. In my opinion they enjoy dancing much more and they
seem more relaxed than the majority of dancing Austrians.
It was an amazing week but unfortanely time flies when we have fun! I'm already looking forward to my next journey! :)
![]() |
| The most photographed part of the Berlin Wall |












Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen